Join a first of kind venture capital fund, NGIF Cleantech Ventures, to be exclusively dedicated to seed investments in near-commercial technologies for gas and hydrogen and be part of the next generation of hybrid financing for energy startups taking their clean technology from concept to commercialization.
As a Principal, you would be an investment professional with significant work experience in the seed financing venture capital space with location to be determined but Calgary and Ottawa are both possibilities. You will assist the Managing Partner by identifying investment opportunities for the fund, conducting due diligence of target companies, and leading, negotiating and managing the firm’s investments, including exiting portfolio companies successfully.
You would be joining a team currently composed of technical, business, and energy professionals managing our flagship fund. The NGIF model also has a strong industry peer review and advisory component comprised of top-tier Canadian energy corporate leaders.
Background of NGIF
- NGIF is an industry-led, industry-funded organization created by the Canadian Gas Association that accelerates cleantech solutions to commercialization for Canada’s gas industry. Our fund currently has $12.1M in funding, $141.4M under management, and a portfolio of 40 cleantech startups.
- Our model would offer hybrid financing, through the NGIF flagship fund and NGIF Cleantech Ventures, to cleantech startups with appropriate capital forms from concept to commercialization for Canadian and international energy markets.
What you will do:
- Source and screen potential companies based on developed investment themes, including analyzing business plans; updating information in our internal systems; creating detailed financial models; conduct, report, and capturing all due diligence in our systems; and periodically present investment recommendations as required.
- Lead the venture due diligence phase of our process, work with the team, and provide guidance, deal structuring, and leadership. This includes market sizing, competitive analysis, financial analysis, legal analysis, leveraging market research, and have final sign-off on any Deal Review Memorandums. The expectation will be to lead the transaction action through to the close (a successful investment); including negotiations with the target company, developing the term sheet and associated documents, and proactively finding ways to optimize our due diligence processes.
- Monitor the financial, operational conditions and energy industry dynamics with respect to assigned portfolio companies; understanding and analyzing their investment capital structure and shareholder rights; and assisting with quarterly reviews with the Managing Partner and presentations to the Investment Committee.
- Proactively work with the management and board of portfolio companies to help them succeed (in a board observer capacity) with a strong understanding of how the business operates to execute growth strategies.
- Develop an informed perspective of the NGIF model in the energy sector, building the brand in the venture ecosystem.
Who you are:
- At least 10 years of work experience, including significant experience at a top Canadian venture capital firm or major corporation venture capital group.
- MBA or another advanced degree from a graduate program.
- Demonstrated ability to influence all management levels cross-functionally and externally; ability make things happen quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid, and collaborative environment.
- Exceptional analytical skills, expertise in collecting and analyzing data, can propose recommendations and implement, and have curated excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The NGIF team is composed of intellectually curious individuals who work with integrity, professionalism, a strong work ethic and are very results-driven.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to the attention of John Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org